Chandra Taal Lake
Chandra Taal Lake is also known is known as “the lake of the moon” or “the moon lake”. It is because of its crescent shape. There are so many legends associated with Chandra Taal. It is believed that fairies frequently visit this lake at night. It is also believed that this lake is the location where Indra’s (rain God) chariot took the eldest Pandava Yudhishthira to heaven.
Beat time to visit:
The best time to visit Chandra Taal Lake is from June to September. It is the best option because the roads are cleaned up by these months. Chandra Taal becomes reachable by road at this time.
Things to carry
If you are traveling in a pleasant time i.e. from July to August you don’t really need anything apart from medicines or traveling kit. If you are traveling another time better prepared the following things.
- Water/Snowproof shoes
- Water/Snowproof clothing
- Wooden stick
- Heavy Woolens
- Pair of woolen socks
- One Liter water bottle
- A small towel
- Camping gear if you want to set up your own camp
- Try to protect your clothes from getting wet. It will lead you in big trouble. If you have wet clothes chilly winds will bite your bones.
- Don’t consume alcohol while trekking.
- Always use a towel, when you get wet dry yourself as soon as possible.
How to Reach
- By Rail: The nearest narrow gauge is Joginder Nagar railway station. The nearest broad gauge railway station is Shimla and Chandigarh.
- By Air: Chandra Taal Lake can be reached from Shimla via Kinnaur and Manali via Rohtang Pass. The nearest airport is Bhuntar.
- By Road: From Manali to Rohtang Pass it is 115 km. You can take a bus from Shimla via Kinnaur to Kaza. The route is open from Shimla to Kaza from June to October.